Tomorrow marks the beginning of a new era in America -- one of hope and one of history. We mark the most American of all changes, the peaceful transition of power from one partisan group to another. But, of course, this transition is not like the forty-three that occurred before it. Tomorrow, a man who came from nothing and who bears the skin of a downtrodden race ascends to the highest office in all of America, proving that all things are indeed possible in the land of the free. A former classmate of mine with whom I recently became acquainted through Facebook wrote on her "Wall" that tomorrow will be the greatest day in American history. While whether President Obama's inauguration trumps other great days in our history, such as D-Day, Lee's surrender at Appomatox, July 4, 1776 and all those other great dates may be up for debate, there is no question that tomorrow marks a great and positive change and I am proud to be around to see it.
I am also proud to say that my youngest son arrived just one week before this historic day, bringing a change as big in my life as the inauguration of President Obama will bring to the nation. We named him Charles Scott Justice. He weighed seven pounds, about twelve ounces less than his big brother Ian when Ian was born. He was 20 inches long and had all ten fingers and toes and dark hair on his head. He entered the world screaming, which I take as a good sign -- this kid has
spirit.
spirit.I recall so vividly standing in the hallway of the hospital waiting to be allowed into the operating room where the doctors were preparing Kim for a c-section. I felt a bit funny in my blue surgical cap, white surgical mask and gauzy yellow gown. I am a pacer and, as I paced, the booties the hospital made me wear squeaked as they stuck to and then pealed from the floor with each step. I tried to contemplate the moment I was in and
record it in my mind to keep for the rest of my life, hoping the nervousness would not erase too many of the details. And, I think I do remember it all, including the nervousness. I remember pacing back and forth, praying silently for Kim's safety and the health of our yet to be named second son. I recall walking into that OR, with light as bright as any summer afternoon. Kim was prepped and the doctors were ready to start. Kim handled the whole thing in a way that I know I never could have. And I cannot express how proud I am of her.
record it in my mind to keep for the rest of my life, hoping the nervousness would not erase too many of the details. And, I think I do remember it all, including the nervousness. I remember pacing back and forth, praying silently for Kim's safety and the health of our yet to be named second son. I recall walking into that OR, with light as bright as any summer afternoon. Kim was prepped and the doctors were ready to start. Kim handled the whole thing in a way that I know I never could have. And I cannot express how proud I am of her.Charlie was born on a Tuesday and we all went home on Friday evening. All went well, other than a little jaundice. Charlie was sent home with a photo therapy machine that looked like some kind of light saber fly swatter. After a couple days attached to the light machine, he was declared healthy.
As I read the news stories about tomorrow's inauguration, I remember one last detail from my moments in the hallway before the doctors let me
into the delivery room. As I finished a prayer for Charlie's safe arrival and Kim's safe recovery, I overheard a conversation to my right. An African-American woman was preparing for her shift as a nurse in the recovery area of the labor and delivery portion of the hospital. She was excitedly telling one of the other nurses, a white woman, about her plans to attend the inauguration. She was almost too excited to convey her anticipation in words. The other nurse, who was apparently from the D.C. area and who clearly shared the inauguration a
ttendee's excitement, gave advice on how best to avoid the traffic and crowds and wished her a great trip. Listening to this conversation between two women of differing ethnic backgrounds, a thought occurred to me: Charlie will never have to wonder if America will elect a black president in his lifetime. It was a nice thought.And, while I do not know what the future holds for the Obama Administration, I think God has graced me with a glimpse of a very bright future overall.
Joe Justice


Very unique blog.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful baby pictures.
Cool...
Please visit:
http://bali-digitalworld.blogspot.com
Keep blogging.
Good day.
I really enjoyed reading about these events through your eyes, Joe. Congratulations on the addition of a healthy and beautiful baby boy to your wonderful family. The photos are absoltely amazing (the CA photos as well! Wow.) All my best to the Justice Family.
ReplyDeleteI'm just now reading this, and have to say that I was moved to tears...such a beautiful reflection on an incredibly profound time for our country and for your family. Why don't you write more?
ReplyDelete